Quality follow-up is essential in work, and really helpful in life. However, quality doesn’t necessitate emails with multiple paragraphs. A quick check in, after a meaningful interaction, is always helpful. Are thank you notes preferred? Always. But the least you can do is an email. Tom Hanks style.
Copy/Paste for convenience.
- Hey ____, It was great meeting you the other day. Would love to stay in touch moving forward – let’s circle back in a few weeks for coffee/lunch and catch up. Talk with you soon.
- Hey ____, Thank you so much for your input a few days ago – I’ve been thinking about our conversation since then, and hope to get more of your thoughts in the near-future. Let’s reconnect in a few weeks for coffee/lunch and keep the conversation going. Until then, keep encouraging others like me in your day-to-day. Talk with you soon.
- ____, Just wanted to say thanks for your encouragement. I look forward to learning more about you and your journey moving forward. Let me know if there’s any way I can help you in the near-future. Thanks for your time and have a great day.
- Hi ____, Loved getting to connect yesterday. You are passionate about what you do, and that in itself is an encouragement to me. I look forward to future conversations, and would love to reconnect soon. Let me know a few dates that work for you in the next 2-3 weeks and we can get something on the calendar.
- Hi ____, Good catching up with you the other day. Please feel free to reach out at anytime – I’m a fan of yours and would love to help any way I can. In the meantime, keep pursuing good work. Let’s reconvene in a few weeks and keep the conversation going. Thanks!
- BONUS (The Reconnect): Hey ____, I know it’s been a few weeks/months, but I’ve been wondering about you lately – hope all is well. Would love to reconnect soon if you have time. Let me know and we can get something on the schedule in the next 2-3 weeks. Thanks!